Thursday, June 25, 2009

Packing on the pounds (in a good way!)

Today I took Elise to the breastfeeding support group at Community South, anxious to know a) her current weight and b) how many ounces she "gleans" from me during a feeding. Having just gotten the whole nursing thing worked out (still praising Jesus for that miracle), I've just been so curious to know how many ounces she takes in.

I weighed her before she ate, and she was 10# 2.6 oz!

From my left side she got 3 oz (wow!) and my left 2 oz! So by the time we left, she weighed in at 10# 7.6 oz.... big girl!

Of course, she probably rid herself of most of that temporary weight gain (in fact, I'm sure of it - as I always notice a lot of movement on the southern front), but I'm so so so glad to know she is gaining weight and that I am actually able to provide for her. That truly has been an answer to prayer (see previous post).

Having tracked her weight at her 1-week appt, 2-week appt, and today's group, she has gained exactly 2 oz per day since we left the hospital June 8 (weighing 8#). I'm so proud of my little (big?) girl!

If this kind of progress continues, Elise will weigh about 11 1/2# at one month old. We'll see!

More pictures to come soon......

1 comment: