Friday, June 5, 2009

Finally...it's a girl!

Well, it has been quite the eventful day. After 36 hours of labor, Elise Lorraine Chapman has come into the world. Elizabeth can post the official stats tomorrow - I heard them but did not make note of the actual numbers and do not want to misquote them. I can say that the weight was 8 pounds 14 ounces.










Elizabeth reached full dilation around 1 pm and began the official delivery process around 3:30 pm. After more than 2.5 hours of delivery labor, it became clear that Elise was not going to cooperate with us. Our doctor had been called away during delivery for an emergency at another hospital, but fortunately one of her partners was able to assist us. The doctors consulted and strongly recommended that we deliver under a C Section. The doctors and nurses did not think that Elise was going to come naturally through Elizabeth.

So, after almost 36 hours of labor and delivery, we suited up for the operating room and took the plunge. I must say it was a most surreal experience to be in the operating room - after 36 hours of stress, tension, uncertainty, and (at times) anxiety, the room was suddenly quiet. Only the doctors and nurses were present (other than me). The speed at which we had transitioned from natural delivery to C Section left little time for reflection (but just enough time for quite a few prayers).

I was thankful as I walked into the operating room that this would be the end of the process. Elizabeth would finally get some relief, and we would finally get to meet Elise! The stress of an unexpected C Section quickly faded away into the mandate of "document the birth". Those of you who know me understand that I am a bit squeamish - and, having heard stories of C Sections, I was needless to say worried about what I was about to see.

However, I sat behind Elizabeth and filmed the first 12 minutes of the operation (after Elizabeth had already been prepped for surgery). The realities of my situation did not dawn upon me as I was intently focused on capturing the moment when Elise's head would pop out. Looking at surgery on a camera screen is much different (and fortunately better) than viewing it up close. When Elise came out after 12 minutes or so, I immediately followed (with the camera) her next stops - the clean up station, the weigh station, etc. After getting to touch Elise for the first time and after filming for a few more minutes, I sat down by Elizabeth again so that the nurses could finish their poking and prodding of Elise. Elizabeth was still struggling through the end of the C Section (i.e. depositing her insides back into her belly). The whole notion of "now being a dad" did not really sink in until the nurse came by and deposited Elise into my arms to hold so that Elizabeth could try and see her. Finally, after 9 long months, I could make a real emotional connection with Elise as I held her in my own arms and saw her for myself.

After the surgery, the family and friends who had waited for so long throughout the day got a few minutes to come in and say hi to the newest member of the Chapman clan. Everyone was then hustled out so that mom and the new baby could get some rest. Elizabeth is currently recovering and is catching some much-needed shuteye. After a marathon-like 36 hours with no food and no sleep, she has earned it! She is lying in the bed here in the room and can barely mutter more than one word without immediately falling asleep again.

The benefit for me is that I got to do all of the baby holding time tonight. After everyone left, Elizabeth was simply too tired and too early in recovery from surgery to breast feed, so after a few minutes of trying unsuccessfully at that operation, I got to feed Elise her first bottle (and, as it happens, my first bottle to any baby ever). It was certainly quite the experience. Elise then curled up in my arms and went sound asleep for 30 minutes. What a perfect ending to a great day!

Elizabeth and I are so thankful to all of our family and friends for all of their help during the last day. We appreciate each and everyone who stopped by, who assisted in the delivery process, or who offered encouragement. So many of you gave up an entire day to spend with us - what we kept predicting to be "almost over" stretched on for the entire day - yet you all stuck by our sides. Elizabeth is grateful for all of your support and encouragement.

Elizabeth and I are also thankful to our nurses and doctors. They have been so helpful during our stay here at Community South and have assisted us at every turn - answering all of our questions, filling in where needed, and simply taking care of us. The nurses especially have worked tirelessly on our behalf. In fact, the nurse who assisted during the natural delivery attempts worked well beyond her shift end to ensure a smooth transition (as the C Section occurred over a shift change) into the operating room and even stayed throughout the surgery to assist where needed!

As it is now almost midnight, I am going to wrap it up. Just wanted to close by saying thanks for all your prayers. Elizabeth and I at times were frustrated, anxious, or concerned during the last couple of days - but God is good all the time and was certainly in control of the process. Holding Elise in my arms, I could not help but think of both Psalm 127:3-5 and Psalm 139:13-14. God has blessed us with a beautiful baby girl.
















10 comments:

  1. I'm so very excited for you both, and she's beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about Elise and so happy that e2 is resting after such an exhausting ordeal. i hope you and the rest of the fam/friends get some sleep tonight too. Elly has such a quizzical look on her face, like she's trying to figure out, (yet somehow enjoying) this 'out of the womb' phase of life. can't wait to see her in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so beautiful :-) Congrats!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you're going to have to change the title of this blog to "The "Newly Expanded Chapman Family".

    I was about to head down to the hospital about midnight when I got the message from my ma.

    Looking forward to seeing all 3 of you at the wedding.

    cousin jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a beautiful new girl! Praying for a speedy recovery and adjustment to life with a newborn. Please let me know if you have any questions or need help! I've been there before a time or two...

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for making me cry, Peter. =) I am so happy for you both and my sister & I would love to come visit sometime today if Elizabeth is up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Yeah Yeah! She's here! And shes gorgeous! Elizabeth does she have hair for the hair bows????? Congrats, and I can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cried too Andrea! I think Kathi and I want to come and visit too if Elizabeth is feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see it already, Elise is going to be a cutie!! Congrats and God speed as you begin to raise her in the admonition of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, for someone who doesn't blog, you do well. Congratulations! Much love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete