Friday, June 5, 2009

Baby Update #2

Well it's Elizabeth again.  I am in a perfectly wonderful condition to write now that I am drugged up and in no pain.  Ahhhh sweet relief.  I battled mentally about going for an epidural after being here at the hospital for 2 1/2 hours without drugs.  Contractions had been 3 minutes apart since 7pm, and although excrutiating for a solid 20 seconds each (which seems much longer when you're in that much pain - all you moms know what I mean), I could get through them at home.  But because I was placed on monitors and sitting back on the bed when I arrived at the hospital, the ideal position I had found to cope with contractions was no longer able to be used.

So 2 1/2 hours without drugs & I finally gave in.  I will tell you right now it was pure PRIDE that kept me from getting the epidural immediately upon arrival.  My sister was able to give birth naturally, and knowing our bodies are made to do this, I had it in my mind that I would not use drugs.  But I was so mentally let down when I arrived and was only 3cm dilated with a guaranteed 7+ hours of labor to come, that I didn't think I could make it that long.  And here it is 7:45am - we've been here 10 hours and I'm just now 6-7cm.  I am thankful for the encouragement to get pain relief a) so I can slowly get over this pride business!, b) so I could REST for a couple hours throughout the night, and c) so I won't be absolutely dead by the time Elise decides to come.  

If I were to put myself in my sister's shoes, I can't say "Yes, I would've made it naturally," but our labors comparitively were/are SO different...   the difference in time laboring here at the hospital is just so opposite.  So who knows - I'm sure my body would've made it since God made us women with that capability, but the health of our baby is great, I feel great, and the epidural has made all the difference compared to the first 19 hours of labor for me.

Anyway, I was measured at 3:15am and was found to be 4 centimeters... then again at 5am and found to be 5-6 centimeters....  and again at 7:15am and found to be 6-7 centimeters.  That means transition is near (the last phase of dilation) and I will soon be pushing.  The nurse predicted it'll be around 9 or 10am when I deliver - we'll see.  

Dr. Boyer (my doc) is now on call and will be here soon to check for dilation once more and potentially start some pitocin to increase my contraction frequency.

Well that's all for now - I hope the next post will be post-delivery, including some cute pictures of baby Elise.  Until then, pray for health, safety, and a smooth delivery  :)

2 comments:

  1. you can do it! :) I'm so proud of you!

    can't wait to see pictures of you and your CHILD!!!

    Love you!
    XOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait! SO excited to get the call from Cat this morning---You are awesome, and will probably enjoy giving birth a little more having had the epidural---at least in my opinion! =)

    ReplyDelete