Monday, April 6, 2009

Big Baby???

I will preface this post with the facts:  I am 31 +2 days pregnant & went to my "32 week" check-up today...

I arrived at 11:20 for an 11:20 appointment time (I felt bad showing up RIGHT on time - I prefer to be 5ish minutes early, but it just didn't happen).  I signed in, hit the restroom, and sat down in the waiting room expecting the typical 10-15 minute wait.  I read (not skimmed, READ) an entire FitPregnancy magazine all while noticing that everyone in the waiting room had circulated through their own office visits and were leaving.  I finally decided to ask the front desk what was going on - Had they forgotten about me?  Was I here on the wrong day?  After a few moments of checking their computer, it turns out the lady who had crossed off my name from the sign-in list didn't bother to actually put me in the computer and let the nurses/doctor know I was there.  Awesome.  (I will indent now so you don't get lost in my disarray of wordiness....)

So at 12:10 I was finally called back by my least favorite nurse (she's just an airhead, that's all) who took my blood pressure & told me I would be having a strep test done.  She also handed me some info on early labor, postpartum guidelines, etc.  Sounded good to me.  The doctor came in and we chatted for a few moments - then she got the blood pressure cuff to take my blood pressure.  I asked why it was being taken again & she said the nurse had forgotten to write it down on my chart (imagine that).  No big deal.  Then she measured me and said "You're measuring perfectly!  35cm!"  I told her I thought that sounded kind of big for only being 31 weeks pregnant... She said "Hmmm - Oh, the  nurse has this down as your 35 week check-up.   So we won't be doing the strep test for a few more weeks & it looks like you're just measuring big."  Airhead nurse had a case of the Mondays I guess.

Anyway, the positive note from this whole messed up experience was that I will probably get an ultrasound in a few weeks to check on the size of our fat baby!  (I don't really believe she's fat - I just think it's cute that she's going to have lots of those cute baby skin folds & will most likely be healthy and strong due to her weight).  I had inquired at my last check-up about how much an elective ultrasound would cost, but then I opted not to investigate further since I really had no business spending money to get one.  So I'm excited at the possibility of having a doctor-ordered ultrasound soon!  

I weighed 10 lbs 1 1/2 oz at birth (sorry, Momma) and Peter was 5 1/2 lbs having been born 4 weeks early (so he would've been at least 7 1/2 - 8 lbs full term).  I've just come to expect a big ol' baby.  We shall see!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that nurse really had a bad day, huh? Which one was it???

    And if it makes you feel any better (not that you are worried, but...), I weighed 9 lb. 13 oz. at birth, and Brad weighed 10 lb. 4 oz....and Callie weighed 7 lb. 6 oz. at 41.5 weeks gestation...So, hopefully she won't be too big---but big enough. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! That would have been quite annoying in all respects... poor B-R-A-T! Maybe you should go early so you don't have to push a huge kid out??? :0) JUST KIDDING!!! Everything will be fine, as long as that nurse isn't the one to try and help you deliver your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the bigger she is, the more of her there is to love

    ReplyDelete