Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday Weight Check

As always, it's time for the Thursday weight check! We went to nursing group today so I could see how much Elise weighs at almost 6 weeks old. The verdict.........

12# 10.3 oz!

Granted, that was after a full feeding. Her starting weight was 12# 4.8 oz, so we'll just say she's 12 1/2 pounds. Yay!
We've had a good week enjoying the sunshine, hanging out with Gram & Pampaw, and playing with the puppies. I decided to really implement the notion of keeping Elise awake right after I feed her, a) to add more wake time to DAY (rather than NIGHT!) and b) to get her on a 3-hour feeding schedule rather than the 2 1/2-hour schedule we've been dealing with.

Yesterday was the first day I really worked hard at keeping her awake (thanks, Gram, for your rotation in the early afternoon!), and we saw success!!! I fed her at 10pm & put her down to sleep.... she woke up at midnight crying, but as I picked her up & realized she wasn't hungry (I know this because she promptly fell back asleep in my arms, the little stinker), I put her back down and let her cry until she fell asleep on her own. You may think I'm evil, but I assure you I'm not :) And guess what? The crying didn't bother me in the least! Haha (Horrible Mother Alert)

The outcome? She slept soundly until 2:30am when she woke up to eat. So we made it 4 1/2 hours between feedings!!! It was great! I'm going to definitely try to continue the eat/wake/sleep cycle and see if we can have more 4 1/2-hour nighttime sleep sessions. And it also helps being at 3-hour cycles during the day. The 2 1/2-hour cycle was exhausting!

We had family pictures done last week by the awesome Cat Satre, so stay tuned for me to post a few of my favorites and include a link where you can see more. Elise looks simply perfect in them! (And Peter's got it going on, too!) :)
Until then......

3 comments:

  1. You are a great mom for being willing to start now at implementing good sleep habits! And the keeping awake after eating is sooo key to a good schedule-I've been letting Xander go to sleep after/during his 6am feeding, and life is all over place b/c of it! So, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I mean to say was: Good job, Elise! Keep up the good work, no matter how many ounces you got---5, 8, whatever! =)

    ReplyDelete